Who We Are
Utopia Missionary Baptist Church petitioned the Rio Grande Association for membership on July 20, 1886. There were nine charter members: Mr. and Mrs. L.D. Bownds, Mrs. Margaret Bownds, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Jackson Sowell, Mr. and Mrs. Jake Croft, and Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Reynolds. These charter members were received by letter and there were nine baptisms. Two were dismissed by letter, leaving a membership of sixteen. Reverend Lawrence S. Cox was their first pastor; Mr. J.W. Croft was Church Clerk, and Mr. W.H. Woods the first church messenger.
Located in the beautiful Sabinal Canyon,this pioneer church reflected the indomitable spirit of its founders. Their tenacity to carry on in spite of difficulties is reflected in their descendants living today.
The church has always stressed evangelism and revivals were held annually. There were brush arbor, protracted meetings, many times held jointly with the Methdists or other churches.
Today, the evangelistic spirit still lives as this church is an ardent supporter of the Southern Baptist Convention's Cooperative program as well as giving direct support to the Gordon Family, our missionaries to London.